Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Chronicle Careers: 05/26/2005 | In Recovery

Chronicle Careers: 05/26/2005: "Last fall I began a job search for a new position as an academic librarian, and by December I had landed a fantastic job with better benefits, a higher salary, and nicer perks in a great new city. I had been looking for a stable work environment and a place where I could grow both professionally and personally. I believe I have found that place.

The offer came right before the Christmas holidays. I didn't resign right away though. I wanted some time to let it sink in: I had landed a position I really wanted, but it meant that I would be leaving my home state and a job that I'd put my heart and soul into for more than four years.

Mine would be the seventh resignation in four months. As I've mentioned in my previous columns, my old library at a medium-sized public university in the South is an emotionally unhealthy place. I was vocal about its problems, which earned me a reputation as a troublemaker. Administrators there called me a liar, hostile, aggressive, intimidating, and negative. My favorite of all time: My supervisor was told I was 'infecting new employees with my terrible attitude' because I sent an e-mail message complaining that the only door accessible to the disabled was broken again.

I decided I was unwilling to spend any more time fighting issues and problems that were usually allowed to continue until the emotions reached such a fevered pitch that they resulted in a battle of epic proportions. I was tired.

I know it sounds like I am exaggerating, but the issues are incredibly emotional and personal, and people get really invested in them, myself included. Issues like the role of the librarians in the university, the research and service expectations of librarians, the redistribution of jobs and people.

No matter how hard you try to remain unbiased and objective, you can't. And since I was so outspoken in the past, it was clear that people expected me to take up that mantle again."

No comments: