Thursday, November 03, 2005

Library Journal - Don't Discredit My Online Degree

Found this via LibraryLink of the Day.
Library Journal - Don't Discredit My Online Degree:
When I graduated with an MLIS from an online program, it never occurred to me that I would have a hard time finding a job. Unfortunately, I am finding that many employers view my online degree as worth less than a traditional degree.

According to a survey conducted by Vault.com, out of 239 human resource professionals, '37 percent of those surveyed believe that an online graduate school degree is as credible as a traditional degree, while 54 percent said that it was not as credible but acceptable. But these are the interesting numbers: roughly 40 percent of employers said they believed my degree is credible. That means 60 percent of employers view my degree as second class, which makes finding a job that much harder for me than someone with a traditional degree.

Be sure to read the entire article.

No comments: