Monday, October 15, 2007

Motorcycle trip to Talequah public library

Trail Of Tears Motorcycle Trip is a "Chronicle of a solo motorcycle trip from Cumming Georgia to Tahlequa Oklahoma that follows the Northern route of the Trail of Tears." The writer of the blog, Dan, visited the Talequah library the other day:
I spent most of the rest of the day in the library. I could not help but notice, that a few homeless, definitely psychotic, people were spending the day in the library too. It was apparent that these folks were regulars by the way the staff interacted with them. I, on the hand, was somewhat unnerved when a man approached me and recited a mantra he must have memorized over the years explaining how grateful he was to have lived through the end of the 20th century. I quickly learned that anyone who remotely glanced at this man would be met with the same recital. The staff called him John. I watched john deliver his speech over and over again through the afternoon. I think I may have it memorized.

I wanted to ensure I established some contacts before I left. After John delivered his last speech to the woman at the reference desk, I struck up a conversation that ultimately lead to me explaining that I had ridden my motorcycle 1200 miles to research the town for a book I would like to write. As soon as I finished telling my story, I realized that I must sound as nuts as John. Thank god I showered and shaved before going to the library. I have no doubt the woman thought I was off my meds, but at least I was clean. What ever the reason, she did not dismiss me pleasantly like I watched her do to John 5 or 6 times. She gave me her email address, I’m betting it’s the same one she gives John....

I think Dan might be surprised as to the stories we do hear at the reference desk -- his seems rather tame. :-) Good luck on the book!

No comments: