Monday, October 18, 2004

Reading Is FUNdamental

Reading Is FUNdamental, or RIF, was one of my favorite school year events when I was growing up in Kansas. Every year the RIF folks would arrive at my school, take over the gym, and line the floor with tables piled high above my head with books. (Well, that's how my elementary school mind saw it anyways).
Each of us kids would madly rush to the tables designated as Fiction and Non-Fiction (we learned the difference early on)--all of us desperately trying to find the latest Muppets cartoon collection or Disney film turned into book. One of the very first books I received via the RIF program was an oblong yellow covered paperback book about the life of George Washington, drawn in comic book style. I remember thinking how awesome it was to have my very own book about the 1st President of the United States! I think that book, I picked up way back in kindergarten, helped fuel my passion for politics--go figure. By the way, I still have every RIF book I was given.
RIF has come a long ways since I was little. Their website has a Reading Planet loaded with online activities for the kids. Everything you need to know to participate is online as well. Why don't you check it out?

No comments: