Monday, January 30, 2006

LISNews.org | Should We Move A Million Little Pieces To Fiction?

The debate is on over at LISnews -- what do you think? Should A million little pieces be in the Fiction area or not?
LISNews.org | Should We Move A Million Little Pieces To Fiction?: "'I am just a citizen concerned about the mis-classification of James Frey's 'non-fiction novel' A Million Little Pieces. I feel the author and publisher should not be the authority over where the book is positioned in our nation's libraries. I feel it should be re-classified and moved to the fiction shelves. I have written to the American Library Association, but have not received any response. Please tell me if this is a valid endeavor? Am I the only one who cares about the integrity of book classifications in our libraries?

I just feel strongly that unsuspecting library patrons in future years will be mislead by this book if it remains in the non-fiction stacks. The author initially wrote this book and pitched to publishers as a novel and has admitted fabricating key portions. I am saddened that major opinion makers such as Oprah Winfrey say it is no big deal to pass off fiction as fact. I am amazed that librarians have not spoken out in this public debate. But maybe I am alone in my concerns.'"

No comments: