Sunday, December 10, 2006

Green Country Knowledge and Information Professionals Holiday Party 2006

Well, I got to cut out of work a little early on Thursday to attend a holiday party put on by Green Country Knowledge and Information Professionals. At first, the event consisted mostly of the standard schmoozing around the chocolate fondue fountain, and swapping war stories with the current MLIS students at OU-Tulsa. Then after mingling and nibbling, we met several young men who had got doused with pepper spray earlier in the afternoon, we got to see a demo by the K-9 team, and watched the kids of one of the other attendees race McGruff the Crime Dog robots around the hallways.

You see, the holiday party was held at the Tulsa Police Academy, as it was hosted by one of the coolest (and most well-armed) librarians I have the privilege to know--Officer Tom Rink, Librarian for the Tulsa Police Department. Unfortunately I was a doofus and left my camera at the house that morning, but I believe some piccies of the event will be going up at the GC-KIP website in the next few days. In addition to good food and good friends, I learned a lot about the travails of running a VERY special collection, got a tour of police facilities that most "civilians" never get to see, learned some interesting factoids about our police department (TPD is one of a relative minority that requires all officers to have a bachelor's degree, and about a third of the department has a graduate degree), and generally learned a lot about the folks who keep my city safe. All in all it was a good time with great friends. If you live in the Tulsa area, try to make it out to GC-KIP's regular seminars and networking get-togethers--I know I will! :-)

No comments: