Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Chronicle: 1/5/2007: How the New Generation of Well-Wired Multitaskers Is Changing Campus Culture

They're the Net generation — kids with wires running through their veins, kids who grew up on video games and the Web. They're on your campus now, and the contention is that they are different from previous generations of students. Should they be treated differently? Educated differently? Those and other questions were discussed at an interactive session at The Chronicle's Technology Forum.

Login Required. The Chronicle: 1/5/2007: How the New Generation of Well-Wired Multitaskers Is Changing Campus Culture:
Question: I wanted to know: How often do you go to a library, and what do you do there?

Laura: I do not go to the library that much, but that is because I work at the front desk at Nevada State College. I get to do my homework over there at the computers. But if I want quiet time to do my homework, I do go to library. ...

Sarah: My dad is still into the whole book thing. He has not realized that the Internet kind of took the place of that. So we go to the library almost every Sunday. I actually have a library card, but I have not rented a book for a long time, but I go to our school's library a lot because they have most of the course books. ...

Deanna: As far as using library for research, I do most of my research online with online libraries, but last time I went to the library it was probably three months ago. And I usually only go there to get books for pleasure, not for school.

Ashley: I actually have several late fees on my library card right now. It is kind of deterring me away from the library. ...

Mandy: I work in the library at my school, so I'm there almost every day for like hours at a time, but I also do check out books from there and do research there.

No comments: