Monday, October 15, 2007

Library Arcade


Ok - so I did see this subject line on Publib -- but glossed over it -- until I saw it mentioned on Kotaku (a gamer blog). So read your library listservs to see what librarians think of the Library Arcade. Here's what gamers think of it: Bizarre timewaster of the day:
Ever wondered what it's like to be a librarian at an institution where your patrons are incapable of finding the most basic of materials on their own? No? Me neither. But just in case you're dying to find out, the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries have put together the 'Library Arcade' (no, really), where you can test your shelving skills following the Library of Congress call number system or try your hand at a Diner Dash-esque fetch it game, where you have to keep hapless patrons happy and find appropriate materials for their "research." What sort of researcher can't use an online library catalog, I don't know. I can tell you I'd be horsewhipped by my advisors for wasting the valuable time of our librarians by asking them to find me the answer to 'Does daylight savings time really save time?'.

No comments: