Monday, October 01, 2007

Review: Hollywood Librarian @ Rose State


A LibraryStories reader emailed me following review for Hollywood Librarian:

Unfortunately for me, Hollywood Librarian was a disappointment. I guess it all comes down to the title being rather misleading. I thought it would show lots of clips of librarians in movies and then have real librarians talk about their real experiences in comparison. It was actually much more scattered. It was a survey of the history of libraries and librarians, going from the library of Alexandria to the destruction of Iraq libraries during the current war. It had interviews with modern librarians about their interests and challenges. It talked about Andrew Carnegie and the libraries he built. Apparently Katherine Hepburn's sister is a librarian, she was interviewed as well. There were a few clips of Marian the Librarian and other film librarians.

It says right there on the website that the film covers "the themes of censorship, intellectual freedom, children and librarians, pay equity and funding issues, and the value of reading." I guess I had been warned, but I was distracted by the images from Desk Set and Party Girl - I wanted more movies!

Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone in with no expectations. I am curious to hear what others think, and would really like to know what non-library folks thought.

Remember the movie premiered back at ALA.

No comments: