Thursday, September 20, 2007

A reader remembers Tulsa and Madeline

Stumbled upon this blog memory - that features one of the Tulsa libraries, Madeline L’Engle, and a fan. For those who do not know who L'Engle was try her site.

"When I was about 10 or 11 years old, I read everything I could get my hands on. The librarians in my small town library probably sniggered behind my back whenever I would check out 6 or 7 books at a time. But I really did read them all. And one day, I came upon A Wrinkle in Time, and at once I was able to identify with the awkward and endearing heroine, Meg. My imagination was captured ...

By the time I was about 12 years old, I had read all of the library system’s books by L’Engle. I say library system, because most of them had to be specially ordered by my tiny small town library to be shipped in from other branches. Then around that time, I heard that L’Engle was going to come and speak to the Tulsa library, and that every branch of the library got to select one person to be their representative to attend the event. The librarians at my library called me, because they knew how crazy I was about reading all of her books. So, the night of the event, I got to sit in front of the podium during her speech, and afterward we each walked up to present her with a rose. I was elated...."


An example of being able to help a patron have a wonderful lasting memory.

No comments: